The Friends of Beckenham
The Stables and Homesteads
Rear of Stables
situation regarding the Stable and Homesteads has radically changed
since the fire of 2011. These buildings used to be home to several
employees in the park:
Gardeners, Golf green keepers, Park managers. Prior to that there would
have been some estate workers living in rooms above the stables. During
the periods when the estate was a school and a sanitorium,
employees, inmates and pupils may have been resident in the buildings.
The 1911 Census lists medical staff, servants and patients/inmates from
the sanitorium period. There were some remaining rooms in the
Stable Block with cast iron fireplaces and some original
features. Some of the buildings seem to have been 'renovated'
with crittal windows and other features that probably date to about the
time the park was purchased by the London County Council (pre-Greater
Stable Block before the fire in 2011
The clock tower, bell and weather vane may have come from Clockhouse
nearby which was another Cator property. These parts are in storage
following the demolition of the clock tower for safety reasons prior to
the fire. The clack was largely destroyed by the fire as was most
of the central part, most interesting architecturally, of the Stable
Homestead Cottages, three terraced cottages to the north of the Stable
Block seem to have been greatly altered from the original Georgian with
crittal windows and apparent rebuilding of the brickwork.
Although the foundation below the damp course appears to be
original Georgian and of the same appearance as the foundations of the
There used to be a timber building in the stable yard
known as the 'horse hospital' but this was left unmaintained and
collapsed due to decay.
Unfortunately our historic heritage allows
for landlords to neglect buildings without penalty and perhaps a
mechanism whereby buildings can be confiscated and put into the hands
of considerate owners should be made law.